Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Celebrating halloween with pumpkin muffins


I decided to make something related to pumpkin to celebrate 'Halloween'. I was inspired by a Tokyoastrogirl's this post. This is the second time I am trying this. First time I followed the original instructions from here except baking soda which I didn't have at hand. It tasted great, was very moist but looked crazy (because all of the muffins had sagged in the middle..boo hoo) though they had the right color.
This time I tried again and did not forget the baking soda. The time for baking given here is about 55 minutes. But I was surprised that within 20 minutes my apartment had the lovely baking spice wafting around. I ignored for a while, but then decided to check the beauties. Uh-oh...they had turned a very scary brown..very apt for Halloween. But guess what ? They were really beautiful inside ( as you can see from the one cut open in the picture). It immediately brought the song " I am beautiful...no matter what they say" by c. aguilera to mind. Go ahead enjoy these semi-sweet, low-fat (no oil and cream as in the original recipe), scented with coconut milk and walnuts. Happy Halloween!

One question: What is the function of egg in baking ? Does it HAVE to be added ?

The stuff you need are:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour ( I love whole wheat!)
1 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon (heaped) baking soda
1 teaspoon (heaped) baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 can coconut milk
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

How I did it:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease muffin cups or put muffin paper shells in them.
Mix together all the dry ingredients( 1st six in the list) and wet (next 4 including sugar in sequence ) separately. Mix them all together at the end and stir in the walnut. Fill about 3/4 of the muffin cups with this. Bake it for ~30 minutes (or until tooth inserted into center comes out clean, or in my case..when it smells great :) )

( I tried to decorate every muffin with one chocolate chip in the center, but somehow they didn't melt !! )

I am submitting this to My Dhaba's Virtual Cooking Competition.